Wednesday, September 22, 2004

What would Jesus do? I dunno, but his dad seems to be fond of W

I have no problem with the religious or spiritual (which can be, but are not necessarily, the same). However, I find it curious when a person claims to have an ability to communicate directly with God, such that God's intentions are elucidated (to W: look that word up here) to that person. It would seem to follow that, if we could all just get an official transcript of even one of these holy conversations, many of the theological and philosophical questions that have plagued humans for centuries would be answered.

Fortunately, our fearless leader seems to have just that ability, and he is willing to share. Here are the President's greatest hits on his pipeline to the Almighty:

1) In June 2003, Mahmoud Abbas, then the Palestinian prime minister, said that in a conversation with Bush, the president told him: “God told me to strike at al-Qaida, and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did.” Find it here and here.

2) In 1999, W told Southern Baptist James Robison (a TV evangelist, if you were not aware) “I feel like God wants me to run for president.” Find it here and here. That article on Robison makes clear that even though Robison still asks for money in his television show, he now gives some to humanitarian projects.

3) After his inaguration in 2001, W said "I believe that God wants me to be President" according to one present, Richard Land (president of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission). Find it here and here.



It has been widely reported (citations omitted) that Pres. Bush told a group of Amish farmers in Lancaster County, PA on July 9, 2004, "I trust that God speaks through me." The link to the Lancaster New Era article is no longer available in full format, and the White House denies it. Although this would seem to be a shared tenet of all religious folks, the implied regularity of God's ventriloquist act through W is what made this so noteworthty. Thus, as it is technically unverifiable, I shan't officially include it in the greatest hits, even if it is true.