Thursday, September 23, 2004

Jimmy Swaggart makes a funny

In a September 12 broadcast, Jimmy Swaggart discussed his opposition to gay marriage. Swaggart said "I've never seen a man in my life I wanted to marry. And I'm going to be blunt and plain: If one ever looks at me like that, I'm going to kill him and tell God he died." The congregation laughed and applauded. You can view it here.

On September 21, Swaggart said he has jokingly used the expression "killing someone and telling God he died" thousands of times, about all kinds of people, including other preachers. He said the expression is figurative and not meant to harm.

However, CNB (that's my new third-person reference to the Cleverly Named Blog - not to be confused with the CMB of New Jack City) notes that Mr. Swaggart did seek to be taken literally when, in 1988 after his penchant for patronizing prostitutes was discovered (which occurred a scant few months after he took Jim Bakker to task for his own infidelities), he publicly told God "I have sinned against You, my Lord". For the sake of convenience, as noted in a prior CNB entry, Mr. Swaggart could have just spoken to George W. Bush, who appears to have the Lord on speed-dial.