Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Immediate debate review for Debate 3

Wow. So much material. Here are some highlights.

Bush:
  • You'll get the flu vaccine from Canada, but old people cannot get their heart medication from Canada. I hate to use the flip-flopper label, but. . . .
  • "Gosh, I just don't think I ever said I'm not worried about Osama bin Laden. It's kind of one of those exaggerations. Of course we're worried about Osama bin Laden. We're on the hunt after Osama bin Laden. We're using every asset at our disposal to get Osama bin Laden." Uh. . .check the White House web site, where you said that "And, again, I don't know where he is. I -- I'll repeat what I said. I truly am not that concerned about him."
  • So the pause returned, with those ums and ahs? Is it the podium?
  • You really should not criticize or mock the moderator's employer, even if it is deserving. You made reference to not relying upon the credibility of a major news organization, clearly referring to the Dan Rather thing.
  • You don't get to ask yourself questions, even if you think you know where the moderator is going.
  • You used applied knowledge in remembering something from the second debate, and lots of statistic-spouting. That is a first as far as I've seen.
  • You did not smirk (much) but blinked like a crackhead. Trying hard not to smirk?
  • You seemed to yell at the disembodied worker about how he had more money in his pocket, and how you'd help him go to community college. Problem is, you'd already kinda yelled at him. Who wants to sign up for Geography 101 now?
Kerry:
  • I know Bush shouldn't dodge questions, but you shouldn't either. On a couple of those, I had no idea what the question was when you were done.
  • You are reading the CNB (now found at http://www.the-cnb.com, by the way) - you called him on not answering questions, you watched the big words -- much better.
  • No offense to Massachusetts, but it is "idea", not "idear."
  • You cannot just say that the President's plan is not working, but yours would. I thought you were reading the CNB, but I guess I was wrong. Be a little specific.
  • You are biting on waaaay too much stuff, but are a little better.
  • I still have no idea how you intend to pay for the healthcare plan - you pulled a Bush-dodge on that one.
  • I get it. You love God. France has no veto over US Security. Uncle.

Conclusion: Pending factchecking, it seems clear that Kerry got the better of Bush. That being said, Bush was not the guy from the first debate at all. However, he seemed far too sure of things that it took all of 3 minutes to show as incorrect (not just vague, but wrong), and CNB is a sucky blog. Think what those real blogger geeks can do, much less the major news organizations that Bush mocked.