Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Thoughts on the Election (still going. . . )

Generally, the CNB is a mostly non-partisan (you have to admit that Bush, like him or not, gives so much material) blog. However, this election raises some questions that really bother me.

I hope that someone will be able to shine some light on why the youth, faced with innumerable issues (not the least of which is a foreign war that may soon require their presence), did not come out and vote in significant numbers, as was expected. Rather, the "moral values" vote, a term I find particularly presumptive in its arrogance, won out. Evidently, Rove's plan to work those Evangelical voters worked.

I ask for your help, because I just cannot figure it out. I don't understand how half the country can be really upset about so many things about this President, and yet he (apparently) is headed for re-election. I don't understand how failure to admit mistakes is a positive quality. I don't understand how deficit spending in wartime is fiscally sound. I don't understand how going it alone in the world is a way to ensure the country's safety.

At this point, I don't know if I understand anything.